vrijdag 5 juli 2013

#FridayReads: July 5th, 2013

FridayReads is a hashtag over on Twitter where people share what they'll be reading over the weekend. I thought it would be nice to bring that hashtag over to my blog, so this way I can share what I'm reading and provide a little more text along with it.
 
This weekend, I'll be reading and hopefully finishing a book that looks very promising, namely The Edinburgh Dead by Brian Ruckley. It is a standalone novel (*) set in Edinburgh - big shocker, right?! - and there's something funny going on with dead people. I'm not that far in, so I'm winging it when I say this, but I think it'll be something zombie-ish. This book managed to be the first one being pulled from my BookJar and it conveniently fits into the monthly reading challenge at the book club, with the theme being 'Standalone novels'. Excellent anticipating from the Jar there, seeing as the selection took place near the end of June.
Even though I've only read fiftysomething pages, I can already tell that I'm very much enjoying the scenery. It's mostly because I've recently been to Edinburgh, but being able to conjure up reliable images of the places being described in the book really enhances the reading experience. It does make a difference when Old Town and New Town are being described and you can actually pull the image out of your memory instead of trying to come up with your own made up model of it all (**). The same goes for the scenes taking place in the Closes of Edinburgh. Having walked there and experienced the eerieness of some of them, really adds to the text.
 
 
The story does stand on its own though, with a little help from a seemingly morally grey main character. I can't really get to the core of him, but he is intriguing to say the least. Curious to see events unfolding...
I really hope to wrap this book up come Sunday evening, cause I still have some reading to do before taking a trip overseas and with almost all plane-and-transit-books chosen (***), I don't fancy deliberating again.
 
(*) Which is quite pleasant seeing the amount of series I'm reading or planning to...
(**) This also contributed to my liking of Sixty-One Nails by Mike Shevdon, because I've been in London and thus was able to immediately picture where the shit was hitting the fan.
(***) Expect a little post about this in a week or so.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten